Meet the WVU PRSSA Professional Advisor- Blaithe Tarley

Hello, WVU PRSSA!

My name is Blaithe Tarley and I am the Strategic Communications Manager at the Greater Morgantown Convention and Visitors Bureau (GMCVB) as well as the new Professional Advisor for the WVU PRSSA chapter. As a Reed College of Media alumna and former WVU PRSSA member, I am elated to be able to give back to my peers and an organization that helped me grow in so many ways.

Blaithe Tarley

As the WVU PRSSA chapter president for the 2017-2018 school year, and executive board member the year prior, I was exposed to a variety of opportunities that made me the professional I am today. Without them, I would never have gained the experience and confidence I needed to properly troubleshoot a PR fiasco, network “like a boss,” and make meaningful and thoughtful decisions. These skills were essential as I took a major leap into the career world after graduation.

Since receiving my degree in Strategic Communications (AOE: Public Relations) in 2018, I have been using my skills and knowledge I gained throughout my education to help my home. Working in the tourism public relations field was honestly a route I had never considered during my college career until Susan Riddle, GMCVB President and CEO, presented a public relations and communications internship opportunity at a WVU PRSSA chapter meeting. I immediately jumped on the opportunity to assist the GMCVB team by effectively communicating in an effort to drive the local tourism economy. I quickly realized it was the perfect fit for me.

After accepting my internship position in the spring of 2017, I continued to grow and assist at GMCVB until the spring of 2018. At that time, there became a need for a full-time public relations position. GMCVB offered me a position as Strategic Communications Coordinator, which I would begin to delve into after graduation. I accepted and can confidently say it was the best decision I ever made.

In the last year-and-a-half, I have proven my growth with many achievements. I was awarded the PRSSA National Gold Key and PRSA-WV Young Professional of the Year awards, and I secured a promotion at GMCVB. However, I am most proud of the fact that I am helping make an impact in a place so near and dear to my heart.

Working at a destination marketing organization (DMO) involves assistance at major events, tight deadlines, and constant communication with both tourism partners and potential visitors. It is one of the most rewarding jobs and experiences I could have ever imagined securing as a postgraduate. Not only am I blessed enough to have a full-time career in the field we all know and love, but I am seeing my work positively impact a place I truly care about by helping drive the local tourism economy. I owe all of that to the Chapter and Reed College of Media.

This introduction may sound like I am all business. The truth is, I’m really enjoying my life as a young professional in Morgantown too! Check out my three fun facts to get to know me a bit better as we work together:

1. I am a shameless West Virginia promoter: As you get to know me a bit better, you will find that I truly love where I live and want to share it with others. We reside in one of the most beautiful states on the map, which is filled with the kindest people you’ll ever meet and numerous adventurous activities around the corner. Why not shout that from the mountain tops?
  2. I am a {dog} mama: The summer of 2018 changed my life forever. I rescued a Walker Coonhound puppy from a local shelter and officially had an entirely new purpose on this Earth. Her name’s Nana. She’s a bit shy, loves a good country road drive, and is always ready for a walk in the woods with me. You’ll hear me drop her name in conversation every now and then.
  3. I stay sane, thanks to my active lifestyle: In the PR world, it’s easy to bury yourself in work 24/7, but it never makes for a productive day or better version of yourself, which you should always strive for. I find myself combatting this tendency to “log on” all the time. During any given week, you can find me training at the gym, attending yoga classes, walking my dog, hiking off the beaten trial, etc.

As a Professional Advisor, I will serve as a resource to the entire chapter and use the skill sets I obtained as a “PR pro” to assist with events and serve as a mentor. Please feel free to reach out to me via email at any point in time with questions, concerns, or comments. I am always available and happy to help.

I am looking forward to a wonderful school year working with the Chapter!