Transitioning into the Professional Media World

Blaithe Tarley is a native West Virginian and WVU Reed College of Media alumna. During her college career, she decided to major in strategic communications with an emphasis in public relations, and immediately fell in love with the industry. Blaithe was an avid learner and took her learning experiences outside the classroom in order to challenge herself as a future professional. She balanced her academics with multiple internships on campus as well as in the Morgantown community, the community service engagement chair position for Autism Speaks U, and, eventually, the chapter president position for WVU PRSSA. Blaithe saw the power in the strategic placement of the perfect words early on and how it may foster crucial relationships, enact change, and drive results. After receiving the 2017-2018 PR/communication internship with the Greater Morgantown Convention and Visitors Bureau, thanks to the WVU PRSSA's internship panel, Blaithe was hired full time upon graduation in 2018 as their strategic communications coordinator. She now uses her skills to drive tourism in the Mountaineer Country region in West Virginia, and she is an active community member in the Greater Morgantown area.

By: Blaithe Tarley

Today’s Alumni Update comes from Reed College of Media alum, Blaithe Tarley.

It feels like just yesterday I was walking across stage for the Reed College of Media Commencement Ceremony. I can still remember the moment. As I clutched my diploma and walked away from the many faculty members who shaped me as a professional, I couldn’t help but feel eager to take on the next big challenge.

Blaithe Tarley in front of Woodburn Hall

During my time at the Reed College of Media, I received the best public relations education I could ask for. Not only did I learn the fundamentals of my profession, I was exposed to many opportunities to gain experience, push myself outside of my comfort zone, and develop a personal brand I confidently carry to this day.

When I first explored the PR industry, I fell in love with non profit PR and the fact that powerful words could enact change in the world around me. I took this love and incorporated it into my efforts for previous internships, PRSSA and Autism Speaks U.

I had never explored the possibility of tourism PR until Susan Riddle, Greater Morgantown Convention and Visitors Bureau (GMCVB) [link] Executive Director and professional mentor, presented a tourism PR internship opportunity in a 2017 PRSSA meeting. The chance to use my skills to positively affect my home seemed like the perfect way to blend my passions.

Blaithe at Milan Puskar Stadium in Morgantown, W.Va.

I began my full-time position at the GMCVB as the strategic communications coordinator in late June of this year, which was a result of a yearlong internship assisting the GMCVB with their communication methods. I was ambitious and fully prepared to use my skills to drive the tourism economy for our West Virginia region.

Beginning this young professional stage of my life, I was certainly nervous for what was to come. However, it has been a process that has made me much more self aware and confident.

Within the last three months, I have come face to face with four major lessons. These lessons are a part of the great journey that lies ahead, and all post-graduate professionals must appreciate and grow from them:

You will truly never stop learning.

While I was as prepared as I could be to face the unknown upon graduation, I had to understand that I am still new to the profession. There are areas of the job that only experience can teach.

The learning process as a means of progression is not something only young professionals experience, senior practitioners do as well. Learning equals challenge. The moment you do not feel challenged, you should be looking forward for new ideas and more ways to advance yourself.

Mistakes happen. Know the difference between a fire department flame and a fire extinguisher flame.

Blaithe with an industry professional

I recently learned this piece of advice from an established PR professional in the industry. There are certain “oops” moments that require major damage control, but not every mistake requires that level of energy. You can quickly exhaust yourself by sounding the alarm for every ordeal.

Learning the difference between learning opportunities and major mistakes is a valuable lesson that will save you from burning out before the job has even begun. When you do make mistakes, and you will, know just how to bounce back

Networking should not end when you land your first big (girl/boy) job.

I was always stressed the importance of networking in the media world and I took this process very seriously when growing as a budding PR professional. I would never have received the experiences that I did, and I certainly would not have the wonderful job I have today, had I not challenged myself in this area. What about after you receive a job offer? You don’t really need to continue attending those networking happy hours and such then, do you?

The answer is yes, you do. Continuing the networking journey will only lead you to more relationships and experiences that will benefit you.

Believe that you can and you will.

I shared this piece of advice with a friend of mine recently. Many of us experience “imposter syndrome” when adjusting to a big change in our careers.  I did, and it took time to shake the thought before I realized that I would not be placed in my role at the GMCVB had I not proven myself as a communicator.

The moment you understand this and truly believe that you can do great things, you will.