Guest Post: Karli Gasswint

By: Karli Gasswint, class of 2014

Karli1

Account Associate, Consumer Media and Engagement

W20 Group in Minneapolis, MN

Karli had hoped to join us at our first meeting to share insights on how WVU PRSSA helped her get career ready while in college. Unfortunately, her work required her attention, so she offered to answer our questions as a guest blog post.  Read on to learn how conferences, event planning and other PRSSA experiences provided invaluable professional development opportunities that helped launch her career.   

What experiences did you have in PRSSA that helped you decide what direction you wanted to take in your career?

PRSSA led me to multiple agencies that I was interested in during our first PRSSA conference trip to San Francisco, CA.

At the time, I was only a sophomore and was beginning my journey in the Journalism school, which you all know

Karli2

as Reed College of Media. This trip was one of the best experiences of my life because I was able to bond with people in my classes/major that are now long-life friends. I also got to attend multiple sessions throughout the four-day conference learning about ‘What it takes to be a PR pro’ and ‘Discovering your passions in life that drive your career.’

Aside from the sessions, we got to network with other PRSSA chapters throughout the country which was pretty cool! The best part was talking with actual agencies that were located in San Francisco and other places in the country. This is when I knew I wanted to work for an agency.

Although I didn’t end up at an agency right out of college, I still wanted to pursue that goal, and today I work in consumer brands for a media relations company in Minneapolis, MN.

How did the experiences you had while in PRSSA help you land your first position after graduation?

I would say that the experience of attending conferences during my time at WVU really helped me branch out and break out of my comfort zone when it came to networking with people that were in my field of study. Also, being part of PRSSA gave me the opportunities to diversify and apply myself in a way that enhanced my professional and career experience.

What experiences best prepared you for the position you now hold?

Karli3

Being a part of PRSSA broadened my view of public relations and taught me how to jump from one thing to the next. From volunteering at the Ronald McDonald House serving dinner, to fundraisers and national conferences, PRSSA taught me how to be a part of the community and network with people within the major.

One event that prepared me the most in my position today was the fashion show we put on for the whole school. It was the first thing I had been a part of that was built from the ground up. We had to find models, volunteers and sponsors while working with a real-life budget to put on the entire show. This event showed me what it would be like to work in PR/communications.

In addition to PRSSA, in your opinion, what can our current members do in the classroom and on campus in order to become more marketable in today’s job market?

Honestly, I would tell current members of PRSSA to take opportunities when they come up within the classroom

Karli4

or on campus. Opportunities could be working part-time for the school’s newspaper (which I did) or volunteering for a cause that you’re passionate about. It’s always good to find those extra curricular activities that can set you apart from other people during a job interview.

Finding a mentor or someone that can help position you in the right direction for success after graduation is something I highly suggest. I wouldn’t have had the experience I have today without the support of Eric Minor, Dr. Pressgrove, and a couple other mentors.

What did you wish you did more of in college to help prepare you for the workforce afterwards?

One thing I wish I did more of in college to prepare me for the workforce would be taking on more responsibility within PRSSA. Although I was part of the chapter and had a great experience, I wish I would have been more involved within the organization such as being the Secretary. I think having a role within PRSSA would have 

Karli5

pushed me, as well as prepared me more. 

What was the most shocking thing you realized after entering the real working world of communications?

One thing that shouldn’t have come as a shock, but did, was the long 12-hour days you have to work in order to make a deadline for a client. Even though a schedule and timeline was set before hand to prioritize our time, it doesn’t always work out that way. The 12-hour days happen when a client emails you last minute with changes to a deck or someone is out sick on the team. Working in communications is completely different from my first job out of college, but I’m happy to finally be in the field of public relations.